(click for larger image)
Girls Fastpitch Softball Field Dimensions
The normal distance between the bases on a fastpitch softball field are 60 feet. The distance from Home Plate to Second Base should be 84 feet 10.25 inches.
- Home Plate – A 5 sided slap of whitened rubber (or similar material) . The sides shall be 8 1/2 inches long. The edge closest to Pitcher shall be 17 inches wide and parallel to the Pitcher’s Plate. The sides facing the catcher shall be 12 inches long and on the foul lines.
- First, Second, Third Base – These bases shall be 15 inches square and made of canvas or other similar material. They may not be more than 5 inches high. Each base should be securely attached to the ground.
- Double First Base – This may or may not be used. If used then it shall be 15 by 30 inches long and made of canvas or other similar material. It may not be more than 5 inches high. Half of the base that is in fair territory should be white, the other half that is in foul territory shall be orange.
- The Pitching Plate – Shall be a rectangular shaped slab of white rubber or similar material. Measures 24 inches by 6 inches. It shall be set in the ground with the top flush with the playing surface.
Distance from Home Plate to the Pitcher’s Mound can vary, however it is typically between 35 – 43 feet. This distance is usually determined by age of the players. While different sources show different distances, the distances below were taken directly from the USSSA website.
- Under 10: 35 foot distance
- Ages 10-12: 40 foot distance
- Ages 12+: 43 foot distance
The Pitcher’s Circle shall be a circle 16 feet in diameter (8 foot radius) drawn from the bid point of the front edge of the Pitcher’s Plate.
The Catcher’s Box shall be 10 feet in length from the rear outside corners of the Batter’s Box and 8 feet, 5 inches wide.
The Batter’s Box shall be 7 feet in length. The front of the Batter’s Box shall be 4 feet forward from the center of Home Plate and 3 feet in width starting 6 inches from the plate.
ON DECK CIRCLE
The On Deck Circle should be a circular 2 1/2 foot radius a safe distance to the side and away from Home Plate (at least 30 feet if space allows). There should be one specifically for each team.
The Coaches Box shall be 8 feet from the foul lines. It shall be 15 feet in length from the back edge of the First Base and Third Base extending toward Home Plate and 3 feet wide.
THE GRASS LINE
The Grass Line is normally in a semi-circle shape and is started at a 60 foot circumference distance from the Pitcher’s Mound.
The Backstop shall be at a 25 to 30 foot distance behind Home Plate.
Depending on level of play and other factors the Outfield Fence distance can vary greatly. For younger ages you may see distances starting at 150 feet, however it can extend to over 225 feet for older ages.
The information and diagrams seen here are intended for general information purposes only and should not be considered to represent official or sanctioned specifications. Please consult your league, organization or sanctioning body for their specific dimensions and/or diagrams